Monday, December 20, 2010

Happy Jewish Kids, Happy Jewish Mommy

For 364 days out of the year, we are your typical American family.  December 25th is the only day that we are different from many other American families. We are Jewish and therefore do not celebrate Christmas. 

This morning, I asked my kids what they thought about not celebrating Christmas and if they felt left out.  I wasn't sure what response I would get.  With all of the decorations, music and specials on tv, it would only be natural that they would feel a little left out.

Happy to say though -  not my kids!

My daughter said, "We got our Hanukkah presents two weeks ago and it is our friends turn to get their presents this week."


My son said, "Christmas is very decorative."
Perhaps, they were dropping the hint that I should channel my inner Martha Stewart and decorate a little more for Hanukkah next year.  I can do that.  I've got a year to figure out how.

So, we can admire our neighbor's tree and Christmas lights down the street and not feel left out.  We will happily take any leftover Christmas cookies that they want to get rid of.  We can sleep in on Dec. 25th, then wake up and check the movie listings and finally see movies that we never got to see.  We will finish off the day with family and friends enjoying Chinese food and spending quality time together.

Scott & I can take great pride in the fact that two weeks ago we gave our kids the best Hanukkah we could - complete with dreidel games, menorah lighting, great Hanukkah songs and presents.  They went to a festive Hanukkah service, enjoyed Israeli dancing and a big chocolate feast of gelt and treats at our synagogue. Throw in a few Hanukkah parties thrown by family and friends and we can call it a great holiday.

Starting this Sunday, we can go back to our normal lives and ask the question that will be on everyone else's mind - what are we doing on New Year's Eve?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome and encouraged. If you like my blog, please sign up to follow it for future posts. Thanks for reading!