Friday, May 27, 2011

Saying Goodbye

This was absolutely the last time that I would let her put me down.  We were best friends, roomates and soul sisters. Or so I thought.

It started out with her picking on me for silly things. Then she would pick on me for not so silly things that just annoyed her for reasons I did not understand.  She never let her guard down and always said what was on her mind.  I took her everywhere because she didn't have a car or a license.  I waited around for her to finish work, class, etc.  I was a good friend.

We would talk late into the night about how we would raise our kids in the same neighborhood someday and how cool it would be to vacation together.  But the next morning, I would do something to draw out her mean streak once again.

I remember one Saturday when we were walking back from the grocery store. I paid for my share, but didn't get the right change back.  She laughed at the thought of my wanting to be a teacher and my inability to make change.  I doubted myself for a minute, but then I knew that something was not right.  When I spoke up and told her that I gave her two $20 dollar bills, she admitted that she didn't realize how much I gave in the first place. And then, she didn't say another word about it - not even an apology.

But, here was the last straw.  I visited her at her parent's home to tell her about this new guy that I met (who I would later marry).  She made an off-the-cuff remark that left me speechless. This time it was in front of others.  I had enough.  I asked her why she constantly put me down. I told her that I didn't want to introduce her to him, if this was the way she was going to treat me.  I was suddenly tired of the mind games and it was then that I realized that we were no longer friends.

I left the house quickly trying to hide my tears. As I walked to my car, I heard the screen door open behind me.  She yelled out,  "I know that you will call me back when you are less upset. I'll talk to you later."   She was wrong. 

This week we asked you to write a post beginning with the words, "This was absolutely the last time" and ending with "She was wrong."

7 comments:

  1. I love this. It was beautiful. It reminded me of something I went through on my own, and I eventually ended. It's back (the relationship) at a very different level and I WILL NOT be that person again. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, good for you, and if it isn't, well, amazingly written! I came by from TRDC because I loved your blog name. I' a felow kveller. ;) Nice to meet you, new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ending was favorite part. I know that terrible feeling of being manipulated and used. Thankfully, I can spot that type a mile away now. Let's hope I've learned my lesson, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People like that can really make you go meshugah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wise woman once told my sister that friends make you feel good about yourself. If they don't, they're not really friends. Like you, I've ditched a few in my life and, ironically, things always seem richer and fuller without them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you had to deal with someone like that. Not much of a friend if she was always making you feel bad.

    Visiting from RDC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for leaving her! That's definitely not a true friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! I've had people like this in my life -- two spring immediately to mind -- and the feeling of letting them go was so freeing to me. I've never regretted it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome and encouraged. If you like my blog, please sign up to follow it for future posts. Thanks for reading!