Thursday, May 19, 2011

Life Before 7 am

While the rest of my family was sleeping soundly, I woke up this morning with one thing on my mind - dinner.

Too often, I come home from work and I have no idea what we are having for dinner or when I am going to find the time to make something healthy.  Between helping with homework and driving to piano lessons, ball games and so on, those golden arches look friendlier and friendlier all the time. But, I am determined to stay away from their magical ability to provide dinner without getting out of the car or stepping foot into my kitchen. 

Anyway, back to my wake up call.  At 5:30 this morning, I got out of bed, rubbed my eyes and made my way down to the kitchen. Briefly blinded by the light, I pulled out my cookbook and turned to an easy chicken recipe that pleases everyone in the family (see below for the recipe).  I pre-heated the oven and got busy.  Within 25 minutes, the chicken was pounded, dipped in a yummy honey-dijon mustard mixture and breaded evenly.

Satisfied with myself, I suddenly remembered the load of laundry that I put in the wash last night.  I ran downstairs to put it in the dryer and then went to take a shower. By the time I got dressed, dinner was ready and that load of laundry was almost done. And when I put on my rose-colored glasses, I can't even see the enormous pile of dishes sitting in the sink!

I must say that being a morning person has its benefits.  There is so much I can accomplish with a little coffee and the notion that I'm not distracted by other responsibilities and errands.  It is great to start my day knowing that I don't have to worry making dinner tonight.  I will have extra time to spend with my kids, their homework, activities and maybe even watch the last few episodes of Oprah without guilt.

Hmmm, I could be on to something here.  This might become a new habit for me. And perhaps, a new blog theme as well.  After all, I even wrote this post before 8 am!

Recipe: Chicken Dijon
(From The Six O'Clock Scramble Cookbook)

4 chicken breast halves
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp paprika
3 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp peppr
1 Tbsp margarine

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and spray with non stick spray.  Pound chicken breasts. Combine bread crumbs, flour and paprika. Combine mustard, honey, water, salt and pepper. Coat chicken with mustard mixture and then bread crumbs.  Put on bakng sheet. Melt margarine in microwave and drizzle over the chicken. Bake for 10-15 minutes.

Dinner is served!

5 comments:

  1. I know of the powers of the golden arches. We work from a menu each week but still sometimes we're stuck with no real plan. Plus just because you have a plan doesn't mean you want to do the work by the time dinner swings around. This recipe sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice when you can get things accomplished early in the morning. Especially dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous! I often have these grand plans to get up and do things in the morning, but I'm a night owl. When the alarm goes off, my hazy mind thinks "ugh, what is the dreadful noise and why am I being subjected to it at this ungodly hour?" And then I turn it off and go back to sleep. Then again, I have been very productive in the early morning when it's at the tail-end of my day and I didn't bother going to bed!

    Visiting from the red dress club :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a morning person too! I love to get up, make coffee and get my day going. I try to get the basics done so that I have a little me time later on in the day when the children are napping. i LOVE dijon chicken and will give this a try and report back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last night anfd I thought maybe you'd like it! (my kids ate it up!)

    http://everythingsabuzz-michelle.blogspot.com/2011/05/tonights-easy-dinner-chicken-soft-tacos.html

    Enjoy!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome and encouraged. If you like my blog, please sign up to follow it for future posts. Thanks for reading!