Tuesday, November 23, 2010

8 days til Hanukkah

Preparing for Hanukkah can never top what my friends do to get ready to celebrate Christmas.  We don't hang lights, bake cookies or decorate trees.  However, there are plenty of things to do and this year - there is not a lot of time to get it all done.



  • Eight Crazy Nights - Do I have presents for each night for each child?  Where can I find Hanukkah paper when all I see is aisles of red and green gift wrap? Do I have enough gelt (chocolate coins)?
  • Light One Candle - Did I clean out the wax from the menorah after the 8th night of Hanukkah last year?  Where is the electric menorah for the window?  Do I need to buy Hanukkah candles? Remind the kids to brush up on their Hanukkah blessings.

  • Did you remember to check the oil? - Do I have enough vegetable oil to cook the latkes in?  Am I grating potato from scratch (remember the garbage disposal disaster of 2009)?  Hmm - maybe I'll buy the mix.  Oh wait, who has the Weight Watchers recipe for the potato latkes?  Who is bringing the sour cream and applesauce? Don't forget that my kids like ketchup on their latkes. 



  • Dreidels, Dreidels and more Dreidels - I don't encourage gambling in my house but when it comes to dreidel - we take no prisoners. Give me a gimmel (to take the entire pot of candy) or a hay for half the pot of candy (I'm on a diet).  No shins (put one in the pot) or nuns (no gelt for you!) here. Bring it on. From Texas Dreidel to Traditional Dreidel to dreidel spinning contests - we've got it all!

  • It's Not Just The Dreidel Song Anymore - Yes, I had a little dreidel and I made it out of clay.  Did you know that this is not the only Hanukkah song out there. Not even close. Here is one of my favorites - a YouTube video: Pass the Candle. If you like Laurie Berkner-esque music, check out Chanukah Fever and Funky Gold Menorah from the Mama Doni Band.
For a great (and brief) kid's video explaining the holiday, check out http://www.g-dcast.com/.

Oy Vey! I think I'd better get moving .... 8 days til the 1st night of Hanukkah and so much to do!

Chag Sameach! Happy Thanksgiving and a joyous Hanukkah to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome and encouraged. If you like my blog, please sign up to follow it for future posts. Thanks for reading!