- Eight Crazy Nights - Do I have presents for each night for each child? Where can I find Hanukkah paper when all I see is aisles of red and green gift wrap? Do I have enough gelt (chocolate coins)?
- Light One Candle - Did I clean out the wax from the menorah after the 8th night of Hanukkah last year? Where is the electric menorah for the window? Do I need to buy Hanukkah candles? Remind the kids to brush up on their Hanukkah blessings.
- Did you remember to check the oil? - Do I have enough vegetable oil to cook the latkes in? Am I grating potato from scratch (remember the garbage disposal disaster of 2009)? Hmm - maybe I'll buy the mix. Oh wait, who has the Weight Watchers recipe for the potato latkes? Who is bringing the sour cream and applesauce? Don't forget that my kids like ketchup on their latkes.
- What's the story? Are all of the Hanukkah books readily available for our reading pleasure? Each night, I read one Hanukkah story to my kids. Given half the chance I would read Where is Baby's Dreidel? and Sammy Spider's First Hanukkah for my little nephews. My kids personal favorites are - The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming by Lemony Snicket and The Borrowed Hanukkah Latkes.
- Dreidels, Dreidels and more Dreidels - I don't encourage gambling in my house but when it comes to dreidel - we take no prisoners. Give me a gimmel (to take the entire pot of candy) or a hay for half the pot of candy (I'm on a diet). No shins (put one in the pot) or nuns (no gelt for you!) here. Bring it on. From Texas Dreidel to Traditional Dreidel to dreidel spinning contests - we've got it all!
- It's Not Just The Dreidel Song Anymore - Yes, I had a little dreidel and I made it out of clay. Did you know that this is not the only Hanukkah song out there. Not even close. Here is one of my favorites - a YouTube video: Pass the Candle. If you like Laurie Berkner-esque music, check out Chanukah Fever and Funky Gold Menorah from the Mama Doni Band.
Oy Vey! I think I'd better get moving .... 8 days til the 1st night of Hanukkah and so much to do!
Chag Sameach! Happy Thanksgiving and a joyous Hanukkah to all!