Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Same Dream, Different Decade

It is 2 pm. I'm running through the Quad to get to my favorite journalism class with my latest feature writing project in my backpack.  I know this is the story to pitch to Professor Fox. He is going to love it.  I just spent the last 2 days with my neighbor who happens to be a female bodybuilder. I saw what she eats for breakfast, how she trains for her next competition and discovered what keeps her motivated.

It seems like this happened to me just last week, but actually it was almost 20 years ago.  Yikes! In the last two decades, I've picked up and put down my dream to be a writer over and over again.  Yes, I've done plenty of writing in between. I've had a by-line in a newspaper, an article picked up by the Associated Press, a weekly column and now a blog.  I would call this semi-successful.  What would really be successful is to find the time to write every day and write something that  makes people think about life in a new way.

But, you know what happens - Life happens.  This is why I've had to pick up and put back down my dream to save for a rainy day.  But, I can honestly say that my motivation is just like that of the bodybuilder's philosophy from years ago.  I love to do it and so I keep it up because it is a big part of who I am.

If I could track her down today, I wonder if she still puts in a 3 hour work out on her specific rotations of muscle groups and does she still eat that egg yolk concoction? If she loves it, I'm betting she still does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome and encouraged. If you like my blog, please sign up to follow it for future posts. Thanks for reading!